Monday, October 4, 2010

Saddest Song in the World?

Hey Everyone, I had a friend suggest a great idea for writing - the 30 days of me, which I would love to start, but first I must talk about this on-going thing on Mix 107.3. I still like to think of myself as having a shred of "cool" left in me and I don't listen to 107.3 that much, especially in the morning cause they talk almost all morning and I don't like that. But when I don't like what is on my favorite radio station, Jack FM, 102.7, I will push the other pre-programmed buttons to see what else is on. So, for the past few mornings, on 107.3 they have been talking about a survey that was done and they wanted to find out what the saddest song was. The answer, #1, that supposedly made most Brittish men cry.."Everybody Hurts" by R.E.M. Ok WHAT? I am sorry, yes this song is depressing and the video was "moving" and emotional but Saddest song ever?? No way, So then they had callers call in and say what they thought their saddest song was. Most people had lame, LAME songs - like "I will always love you" and "Breakaway" by Kelly Clarkson (sorry baby). Ok, these people must not know the extent of my music collection and just how heart breaking and REALLY SAD music can get!! If there is a subject I am an EXPERT at, its SAD SONGS! I have had friends point out that I needed to start listening to some more uplifting songs because all my music was too depressing. And to make matters way worse one of the DJs said that she loved to blast "Goodbye to you" by Michelle Branch when she broke up with a guy and cry really hard. HUH?? Excuse me? That is an upbeat song!!Its a pretty fast song! These people must be out of their minds. The only caller I somewhat agreed with was Bonnie Raitt - "I can't make you love me" Yes, that is a good one. Now we are on to something. But if I had to pick some really sad, make you feel the most rotten pain inside songs? Here are a few:

1) ANY and ALL Elliot Smith songs - The guy who did a lot of songs for the Good Will Hunting Soundtrack - "Between the Bars" - very sad. Also how Elliot died by killing himself by stabbing himself in the heart, makes it impossible for me to listen to any of his songs anymore, but they are so beautiful

2)Tears in Heaven - got to be one of the saddest songs I have ever heard and the story behind it of Eric Clapton's five year old son falling to his death, so incredibly sad. Not sure how he survived that!

3)"Nothing Compares to You" - written by Prince, sung beautifully by Sinead O'Connor, heart breaking, defines the hollow emptiness of losing someone

4)"Fake Plastic Trees" by Radiohead, or just pick one, they have MANY sad and disturbing songs about death, loss, depressing stuff - big time

5) "Fire and Rain" - James Taylor, always makes me cry and think about my best friend who died when I was 14, the line, "always thought that I'd see you, baby, one more time again" says it ALL!

6)"Waring Sign" by Coldplay - or any number of thier sad songs, there are plenty. Chris Martin's voice can easily bring tears to my eyes

7) "Fall" by Jasmine Ash - a new song that my friend just shared with me. WOW. Very beautiful and sad!

8)"Pictures of You" by the Cure lyrics say, "And all I ever wanted was to feel you deep in my heart" - wow and - "Untitled" is another great one if you want to hear just how low is LOW! they have quite a few sad songs

9)"Hey Jupiter" by Tori Amos - another singer who can bring out the saddest parts of me. This song she actually sounds like she is singing the equivalent of crying, it sounds like she is singing SOBBING. I spent many hours of my life sobbing to this one and MANY other songs by this woman.

10)"Breathe Me" - by Sia, this was the theme song of the finale of Six Feet Under and I don't know if I was the only one but I sobbed and cried my freaking eyes out and I think most of it had to do with this song!

11) "Do What you have to do" - by Sarah McLaughlin - oh yeah, we all know this can make a good woman cry...HARD!

12)"Delicate" by Damien Rice - I dare anyone to listen to this man's music and not shed a tear or two!!

13)"This Woman's Work" by Kate Bush, this was the song at the end of what used to be my favorite movie when I was much younger, "She's Having a Baby" and they play this song during the end when he isn't sure if his wife is going to make it through labor or not. OH THE SOBBING that occured!!

14) Most would say "Black" by Pearl Jam, which I definitely thought was one of the saddest songs they would ever write but recently I heard, "Come Clean" and I can't listen to it without crying, so pretty I can't stand it!

15)I must add one of my favorite songs of all time by my most favorite singer of all time. "Hallelujah" by Leonrad Cohen sung by Jeff Buckely. I have heard (though I have not witnessed) that they like to do this all the time on Americal Idol lately. I must cringe because the version of this song sung by Jeff Buckley can't be imitated or re-created. Its too powerful and too heart breaking and so, ultimately so beautiful. Exquisite!

1 comment:

  1. Have you ever heard "Simple Together" by Alanis Morissette? I cry every time. Not even an Alanis fan by any means but that song is just so heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete