Saturday, November 20, 2010

Being Sick SUCKS!!!

Warning: This post is pretty gross and quite disturbing. If you have a queasy stomach or are easily grossed out then you may want to skip this post, it will be considered "TMI" by others.

I was planning on doing a post on Friday and every Friday from now on, but on Thursday I was struck by some sort of intestinal flu from HELL!! It was awful people!! I had planned on getting a flu shot and dragging my husband with me, but I obviously waited too long. Thursday morning Joe decided to stay home from work and I felt tired but I had no idea how sick I was so off to work I went.
After eating lunch, I started to have stomach pain, but stomach pains are nothing new to me. I suffer from acid reflux and I am pretty sure I also have IBS. So I didn't think it was something serious, just a bad case of indigestion and good old fashion gas. I kept belching over and over which is another common occurrence for me, but the pain didn't subside. It kept coming in waves and it was pretty intense. I emailed Joe and told him that my stomach hurt pretty bad and that I was thinking about going to the Gastro doctor. I made several trips to the bathroom but nothing significant happened and I didn't feel any better no matter what I tried. My co-workers noticed that I wasn't feeling well and suggested I leave early. I finally gave in and decided to leave an hour early. I wasn't sure driving home would be a good idea. Little did I know the intense and merciless pains that awaited me. As I was driving home, hte pain became quite gripping and stabbing. I felt it necessary to scream out several times during the ride. If someone looked over at me during this drive, I am sure they were really scared and weirded out. I was clearly writhing in pain and screaming. I can only imagine how crazy I looked. When I got inside I began telling my sick husband in a hurried speech that I was in serious trouble and was either going to the hospital or something very bad was going to happen. I went upstairs and had a short freak out/panic attack complete with tears and hyper-ventilating because I was scared that I was going to have to go to the hospital. I was worried that something really scary was wrong with me like an ulcer or worse. Then I started feeling nauseous And next came the violent puking!! Then I would get back into bed and the pain would attack my stomach and intestines causing more screaming and moaning until I had to return to the bathroom for more cookie tossing. It was disgusting, messy and very painful. VERY PAINFUL! This went on for about 4-5 hours, until I was able to take a couple of ibuprofen and the pain subsided so I could finally sleep. I am still not 100% but I am on the mend and thank God because that was so scary and disturbing. Meanwhile, my husband has a totally different kind of cold/flu complete with runny nose, sneezing, coughing, aches and pains. He also didn't sleep for 2 nights in a row. Last night he was finally able to sleep through the night but he was snoring pretty loudly, poor thing he can't breathe very easily. This whole experience has made me a huge advocate for the flu shot! Please everyone go out and get one. Its worth it! SAVE YOURSELVES!!
I was reminded of several horror movies that reminded me of my ordeal. Have you ever seen the scene in Constantine where the demon is moving around inside Rachel Weisz's stomach trying to escape? Yeah that is kind of what it felt like! Or maybe the famous scene from Alien where the alien bursts out of the man's stomach? Yeah kind of felt like that might happen too. Another movie that makes me think of this house these last few days is "Outbreak" cause with the amount of germs in this place, we should both be wearing Hazmat suits!! I also kind of felt like one of the zombies from 28 days later, except I didn't have enough energy to leap up and start running after someone to eat them!
I pray and hope that Joe and I are healthy enough to go to my family's Thanksgiving celebration on Thursday. I have been eating very light and things that are very easy to digest. I love food and I especially love Thanksgiving food so I really hope we are feeling much better very soon! Germs you are not welcome here!! I really hate you!! You really put a big damper on my holiday shopping and preparation schedule. Germs you are truly evil!


3 comments:

  1. i'm so sorry you're feeling all gross & disgusting. but on a happier note, my mental picture of you driving while screaming & squirming about in your car was pretty funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Laughingmyabsoff - it was probably scary and funny for the other drivers too! They were probably like oh my! WTF is wrong with that woman!

    @Ruth - thanks sweetie!!

    ReplyDelete