Tuesday, January 11, 2011

My Tribute to Six Feet Under

I have a ton of shows that I really love some of them include such greats as the Wire, Breaking Bad, and Dexter. These are shows that I will look forward to all week, they kept me on the edge of my seat, they made me laugh, made me cry and most of all kept me wanting MORE!! Six Feet Under was one of these shows for me. I was never able to watch it when it originally aired on HBO because I wasn't rich enough to have HBO at the time. I watched it after it had already gone off the air but it was great because I didn't have to wait, my friend was nice enough to lend the whole series to me. My husband has heard me rave about it for years and was so nice to give me the whole series for Christmas. We have been watching it non-stop, its so fun to see it again and see how much he enjoys it too.
There is so much praise that I give this show. The writing is so incredible! I think about stuff that the characters said all the time! I don't think you can say that about most shows on TV. You get so involved with these characters and you care so much about their lives and what is going to happen to them. I love how Claire's character is an artist, like me and she uses her art as her own form of therapy which I have also had to do many times throughout my life. I love the brutal, unwavering HONESTY of it all. I love that they deal with David's character struggling with society's prejudices and violence against gay men. I love how they show so many different sides of dealing with losing a loved one. Grief is a tough road to travel and they show that exquisitely. The emotion is so raw and it will turn you inside out.
The actors are all so incredible and do such a fantastic job. For those of you that love the show, Dexter, you already know that Michael C. Hall is a phenomenal actor. And to credit his stellar skills he is so very different in Six Feet Under than his character in Dexter. All of the actors are wonderful and never disappoint. You really believe these people are living this life as a family of funeral home owners in LA. There is nothing contrived or fake about a single episode. Once you get sucked in and attached to these people, you can't stop watching until you know the entire story. I would give this show a thousand Emmys myself if I could.
I remember the first time I watched the series finale, I heard that Sia song, "Breathe Me" and I immediately started crying, which turned into sobbing which then turned into choking, snotty, BALLING tears. As Oprah says, I had the "ugly cry" when I watched it. I will try not to ruin it for those of you who haven't seen the show or the finale. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you rent this, buy this series, do whatever you have to do but please watch it. Your soul will thank you!








2 comments:

  1. I'm a MASSIVE Dexter fan and I'm going to town today so guess what I'll be buying? This looks great and as I've never seen it (It got aired on Sky but we don't have a Sky dish) I am really looking forward to tucking Huby up in bed and settling down with it. Many thanks for the post.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow!!! I am so glad I could recommend this to someone! You will love it! Its one of my MOST FAVORITE shows ever! Hope you are prepared for some tears too

    ReplyDelete