Friday, February 25, 2011

Free For All Fridays, Part III

Happy Friday Everyone! It was a treacherous and crappy drive in today. There was so much heavy rain and fog and I couldn't see a damn thing!!

Today I am doing a small tribute to one of my favorite musical artists, Sting. I love Sting and the Police so much. In particular I want to point out how much I love that song "Synchronicity II" - it is such a haunting and incredible song. I admire the poetry and message of the lyrics. I listen to this often when I am in my car on my long and grid-locked commute. My favorite part is, "Packed like lemmings into shiny metal boxes.

Contestants in a suicidal race" it may seem dark and depressing, but when you are sitting there for the millionth time in a traffic jam, stop and go, stop and go, for long stretches, sometimes you look off into the distance and think how am I still sane??
As I have stated before I commute towards DC from Columbia where ALL the traffic is going and the route I take has 38 lights, that is not an exaggeration, I counted. Its pretty ridiculous. And like Office Space, I sit in a "box" called a cubicle and type my life away, day in and day out. Sometimes it gets to you, the daily grind, sometimes its makes you exhausted to your core. Again, I will say, yes I am grateful for all I have in a time when so many are unemployed or "underemployed". But I can still be thankful for what I have and still have to vent about the insanity of the working world and what it does to your psyche, your outlook on life and your overall health.




Ok back to Sting. Here are the lyrics to that song in case you don't already know it
Synchronicity II by the Police
Another suburban family morning.
Grandmother screaming at the wall.

We have to shout above the din of our Rice Crispies
We can't hear anything at all.
Mother chants her litany of boredom and frustration,
But we know all her suicides are fake.

Daddy only stares into the distance
There's only so much more that he can take.
Many miles away something crawls from the slime
At the bottom of a dark Scottish lake.

Another industrial ugly morning
The factory belches filth into the sky.
He walks unhindered through the picket lines today,
He doesn't think to wonder why.
The secretaries pout and preen like cheap tarts in a red light street,
But all he ever thinks to do is watch.
And every single meeting with his so-called superior

Is a humiliating kick in the crotch.
Many miles away something crawls to the surface
Of a dark Scottish lake.

Another working day has ended.
Only the rush hour hell to face.
Packed like lemmings into shiny metal boxes.
Contestants in a suicidal race.
Daddy grips the wheel and stares alone into the distance,
He knows that something somewhere has to break.
He sees the family home now looming in the headlights,
the pain upstairs that makes his eyeballs ache.

Many miles away there's a shadow on the door
Of a cottage on the shore
Of a dark Scottish lake...............

I could do an entire post about how much I love Sting and The Police. If you haven't read his auto-biography, "Broken Music" you really should, I highly recommend it.

This week I also want to mention how much I love the band Kings of Leon, there new album, "Come Around Sundown" is really spectacular. I love almost every song. I saw their new video for the song, "Pyro" recently and wow, it is really crazy and artistic and beautiful in the darkest kind of way.

http://www.last.fm/music/Kings+of+Leon/_/Pyro

This week I watched all these incredible impressions from Jay Pharoah, he is a so talented and you will be amazed at how well he is at imitating almost any one in popular cultrue today. He is on Saturday Night Live and a friend sent me the skit with Scarlett Johanson he did for "Unstoppable". I will include a video of a Denzel impression, but he really can do anyone and everyone. Joe and I sat there watching him do like 30 impressions in a row on you tube. This guy is so amazing. I am in awe of him!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9I0V8KFc1M

Lastly I want to say that I wasn't sure I was going to like that new show Shameless with William H. Macy, but we have started watching it regularly and it has definitely charmed me and now I am hooked. Its about a family where there is six kids and they have a crazy, drunken father who is hardly ever around. The oldest sister has to try to take care of everyone and hold it all together and it is rough trying to survive in so much utter chaos. I really like the writing and the characters and the baby, Liam is quite adorable! I love that Joan Cusack is in it and plays a woman with severe agrophobia and when she attempts to leave the house she is taken over by such enormous and unyielding panic attacks. All of this insanity makes for a pretty good show so give it a try

7 comments:

  1. I like the Police, but then I hear all of the stories about Sting, too bad. I still like the music though.
    I'm a fan of Joan Cusack and William H. Macy. I will be on the lookout for this show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Police Sting too. Not his more recent stuff by himself though.
    I will have to look up that show.
    Not enough good TV shows anymore.
    I love Joan Cusack too. She's great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @George - what stories about Sting?
    I realize I forgot to include that he can supposedly have sex for like 8 hours from all his work at tantric karma sutra and yoga - Wow! And then there is all his activism which is great too.

    @Both of you - Shameless is on Showtime on Sundays @ 10 ( i think)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE Sting! Have been listening to him for YEARS and YEARS! And his looks don't hurt either. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your love of Sting, or certainly his music. Not sure about him and his wife though - sometimes they can come across as a bit up themselves!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We didn't ge thooked on Shameless...I hooked...."BOOM ROASTED" in my Michael voice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I just drove home from my own veal fattening pen. I feel ya.

    ReplyDelete