Thursday, February 3, 2011

Happy Chinese New Year!

Hey Everyone Happy Chinese New Year! This is the year of the rabbit and I know that means its going to be a lucky year! We could all use some good luck!
I have always been fascinated by Chinese culture. I am reading a book right now by a Chinese author that is fantastic, its called "Girl In Translation" by Jean Kwok. I will probably write a more complete review later when I finish but I would highly recommend it. Its an amazing story of the author's life growing up in the slums of Brooklyn while her mother works in a sweat shop. She is such a great student she wins a full scholarship to a prestigious private school and goes on to Harvard and then Columbia University. I love the way she writes and it breaks your heart to read about how they suffered through winters with no heat and summers with roaches and mice and rats. But its also a story of hope and triumph against all odds. Another author that I credit for giving me so much knowledge and insight into Chinese culture is Amy Tan. She is one of my favorite authors. She is such a phenomenal writer, I have read all of her books, I think. So if you haven't read any of her books then please add one to your Amazon wish list, they are amazing!

Here is a link to MSN where you can watch a little video of the celebrations of the Chinese New Year from the Today Show

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41261109/ns/travel-destination_travel/


This site had some interesting information about the Year of the Rabbit
http://www.stanssewingsupplies.com/catalogs/store.asp?pid=253080

And here is another really good one:
http://yearofthemetalrabbit.com/

I think the second picture is from Vegas, I got it from MSN



And as always I have to say THANK YOU so much and SHOUT OUT to yet another new follower, Tracy! Check out her blog at Life's Little Stepping Stones. I am really overwhelmed with happiness over all these new readers and I am busy thinking up ideas for future posts to keep you all entertained and hopefully laughing away in 2011!

3 comments:

  1. Good post! I haven't heard of Amy Tan before, but I shall certainly look out for her now. That book, "Girl in Translation" sounds good too. I love reading, and am always looking out for new titles. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have added that to my list to read on Good Reads.
    Way to go with the followers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way this year has started so far, we could all use a good luck bunny! Not just his foot though, Yuck, I mean the whole bunny!

    ReplyDelete