Friday, March 11, 2011

Free For All Fridays

Hey Blogger World, a huge TGIF to you today. I am ESTACTIC and so HAPPY to announce that I have reached my goal of 50 followers!!!! YES!! I do feel exhuberant and charged like Molly Shannon's character when she says, " IIIIIIIIIIII"MMMMMM FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFIFFFTTTTY!" She is so awesome.


In more sobering and shocking news, I am sending out prayers and thoughts to all of those affected in Japan by the recent earthquake and tsunami. The pictures are mind-blowing. The one I saw with the wave looks like the movie Deep Impact when the huge wave topples the city.
I was concerned when I also saw that a tsnumai warning was in place for my precious Hawaii. As most of you know, that is where my husband and I got married and spent our honeymoon. It is such a wonderful and magical place. I can't wait to go back.




Last Sunday, I saw two shows that moved me to tears. One was a segment on 60 minutes about the growing problem of homelessness, especially amongst children in this country. It was so very heart breaking to hear them talk about their experience and to see the desperation and worry on their faces. I can't imagine how hard that would be. Last year when I left Grad School, I was unemployed for a short period of time and I was lost in a sea of depression, worry, anxiety and panic. I knew that my husband and I would be fine and that eventually I would find another job. But this economy is very scary, the job market, what happened to the housing market, what is going on now with the gas prices. I am not a doom and gloom kind of gal, but all this BS can get you down.

On the flip side of all of that, I also watched the show, "Secret Millionaire" this is where some millionaire meets people in a town and gives them a donation at the end. This woman gave to a music group that helps bring music education to under-priviledged kids, she gave to a organization that feeds the home-bound citizens of the community, she gave money to a family with a little girl who is battling cancer, that REALLY got to me, and finally she gave to a organization that decorates hospital rooms for kids who are suffering. I couldn't stop the constant flow of tears. The people were so grateful and these are really good people who give of themselves everyday to help others who need it so much. I wish all the millionaires and rich, CEOs out there would donate at least $100,000 to little organizations like this because they wouldn't receive from a bigger charity that a company might give to. Something to think about.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. I will be catching up on some MUCH NEEDED sleep. I just want to sleep for like a week. Or at least a few days. I love sleep!!




9 comments:

  1. Congratulations on reaching 50 Followers. Well done! Yes, isn't it terrible watching what is going on in Japan at the moment. Let's hope that Hawaii will be alright. We have that Secret Millionaire programme here in England as well. It's really uplifting! Have a good weekend and enjoy your sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on reaching your goal of 50 followers, Miss Thang.~ :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on reaching 50 lovely girl! I hope your weekend is relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats on 50!
    gas prices are totally out of control.
    i need to watch that secret millionare show. i've been seeing previews, but haven't caught it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, who took that picture of me sleeping in my tightey-whiteys?//////

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to be of service;)
    Now, where's my party?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ladies - Thanks so much!!
    Al- that is funny, its sad that I look like that when I sleep, you know, even though I am a woman with lots more hair! :)
    Antares - thanks, Pop open a bottle of champagne and drink it in honor of my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The big five O, crud, that's almost how old I am.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on 50. I don't think I have heard of the millionaire show. I will have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete