Monday, March 7, 2011

Movie Review Day

SPOILER ALERT :
This is a movie review about 2 movies "Conviction" and "The American", if you haven't seen either movie yet, I want to warn you, I might reveal some part of either movie that might spoil it for you. 

Before I start I discovered this morning to my delight that I am up to 48 followers! YES! So close to my goal of 50! I would like to THANK KW at http://www.corecontrarian.blogspot.com/ for joining the ranks of awesome, spectacular readers, and commenter's of my humble little blog.
We are going to take a break from the usual complaining and grumbling that would go on in a Case of the Muuundaaays. This past weekend I saw a really good movie, "Conviction". It stars Hilary Swank, Sam Rockwell, Minny Driver and recent Oscar winner Melissa Leo. Hilary Swank not only stars in it and in my opinion does a fabulous job, she is also one of the executive producers. Hillary Swank is such a talented actor and always makes me believe that she is really the person who she is pretending to be. She was so amazing in Boys Don't Cry and Million Dollar Baby. In this movie, she plays the part of Betty Ann Waters, who works tirelessly to get her GED, her Bachelors and finally her law degree just to be able to get her brother out of jail, who has been sentenced to life without parole for a murder. I like the fact that throughout the movie you aren't sure if the brother did it or not, most of all you feel the character's doubt, frustration, desperation and fear about how they will reverse this 18 year old sentence. I thought that the movie was pretty great, it really was an emotionally riveting and amazing story about a sister's deep love and devotion to her brother. I highly recommend it. And as I said to Joe over the weekend, Hilary Swank doesn't usually do bad movies and she rarely disappoints. All of the actors did a great job. I just can't believe the strength and determination of the real life characters. I think that the real life Betty Ann Waters should win some kind of metal from the president or someone cause she deserves it!! She was also trying to support two kids the entire time she was putting her self through all of that schooling and working in a bar as a waitress. And as I have shared with you before, I have been a server/waitress and it is one of the hardest jobs out there, especially when people think they can treat you like crap for something that wasn't even your fault. Gotta love those people. So in summary, great movie, go out and rent it if you haven't already seen it.







The American : I had high hopes for this movie, besides the fact that it featured one of my Hollywood boyfriend, Mr. Hottie George Clooney, when I saw the commercials it looked like it was going to be a really good movie. My husband and I were both pretty disappointed. It was incredibly slow and dare I say boring at times. I know that I am not interested in a movie if I find my mind wandering and thinking about other things. I want to be sucked into the story and on the edge of my seat. This movie just didn't deliver for me. I did like the scenes between Clooney's character and the priest. I loved the gorgeous scenery of Italy and it made me want to go and visit so much more than I already did. I would love to take a month off and go all over Europe and take a million photographs of every exquisite thing or landscape that I see, but then I am snapped right back into reality of the daily grind and I realize I used most of my vacation days up cause I didn't want to drive around in the snow and ice. Great. Some of you may have liked this film, but for me I could have done without it. It wasn't terrible, but I didn't like it. If you want to see two great George Clooney movies, I would suggest "Up in the Air" and "Michael Clayton" - both excellent films! And he is still my boyfriend and the modern day Cary Grant! :) I also have to mention that I commend George on all of his constant humanitarian work that he does for Darfur. I attended a rally a few years ago in DC where he spoke with his father about their time in that region and how much aid is needed to help the modern day holocaust and atrocities that have occurred in that area of Africa for too long. You're the best George!





3 comments:

  1. we got our couch from rooms to go & it was cheaper than a lot that we looked at in various stores & it's the most comfy thing ever! i highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok thanks Sherilin I am going to look them up right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been a big fan of George Clooney in movies. I have never seen any of those movies though. I did like "Men Who Stare at Goats" which is probably rather unlike any of these films.
    Thanks for the recommendation on "The Conviction" though. I will keep that in mind for movie night.

    I did miss this post.

    ReplyDelete