Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Best Friends

I think I have mentioned this in my blog before, but most of you don't know about it. When I was 14, my best friend Niccole passed away. My daughter is named after her Chloe Niccole.
The other day, Mayim Bilak was on a morning news show talking about her most recent book. She raises her children with attachment parenting but this is extreme "attachment parenting", she breastfeeds past 3 years old, co-sleeps and home schools and allows the children to dictate the curriculum. I think all of this is very interesting and she is a very smart woman and I respect her, but all that parenting stuff can be dealt with in another post.
They showed a picture of her when she was in the movie "Beaches" she played a young Bette Midler. I didn't realize that was her, I knew her from Blossom and love watching her now on Big Bang Theory. Anyway, it reminded me of my best friend and ironically, we had just had a sleep over and watched Beaches right before she passed away. I saw it the first time in the movie theater and cried my freaking eyes out.
It is a heart warming, tear jerker about two best friends. I really miss my friend and that is something that is filled with too much pain, love, grief, sadness, and joy to put into words.

6 comments:

  1. how did your friend die? i can't even imagine how hard that was for you. my bestie when i was 14 seemed like such a huge piece of myself that losing her would have been devastating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She died as a result of complications of an asthma attack when she was choking. She was in a coma for about a week. It was devastating to say the least.

      Delete
  2. That is so very sad. I have not suffered the loss of a loved one as of yet, which is weird as I am in my late 30's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you are lucky, I am 34 and I have been to more funerals friends and family than I can count!

      Delete
  3. I lost a good friend when I was 12. It's hard and forces you to grow up a little bit faster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks yeah I think it changed us all so much and definitely forced us to grow up A LOT faster. I am sorry that you lost a friend too, Ruth

      Delete