Thursday, April 12, 2012

role models?

I have been thinking a lot about who my role models have been growing up and how much they have shaped me. I can be quite dramatic and extreme and I blame it on being a Scorpio. I would love to think my heart and soul follow in the foot steps of people like Ghandi, Martin Luther King Jr., Maya Angelou, and John Lennon, because I want peace, I want what is right and for people to love one another and be happy. But then there is the other side, the angry or rebellious side who idenitifies more with Malcom X, Zach de la Rocha, William Burroghs. That is why I think my favorite artistic medium is comedy. The art of making other people laugh. You can use it in the most clever and creative ways to make people really think. You can send a deeper message and make them remember what you said if you make sure they are enjoying themselves at the same time. This is why I love Chris Rock, Dave Chapelle, and George Carlin they are so smart and their writing speaks volumes about politics, racism, socio-economic ills, etc. I recently saw a post that Bill Cosby put on his facebook page about how he gets tweets from all these people who say that they thought of him as their Dad or their Grandpa or even now their great-grandpa! Wow, influence, to spread the message of love and hope across generations. So I have been wondering about this video I saw "the greatest speech ever made" and I found out it was from Charlie Chaplin's movie, "The Great Dictator" so now I have decided to start a new study of him, the great genius Chaplin.

Here is a very powerful and moving video that features that speech

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WibmcsEGLKo&feature=related

1 comment:

  1. That's a side of Chaplin I had never seen before.
    I have never watched Chris Rock in much. For some reason he kinda irritates me.

    ReplyDelete