Friday, June 1, 2012
I know that this sounds bleak but I wish the best for my niece and I have faith that she will do well and find happiness in this crazy world.
I want so much to protect her from the bad and stupid things that I did in college. I want to say
1) Don't go to parties and just keep drinking until you black out, its pointless, stupid and it will do permanent damage to your liver
2) Don't trust guys!!! Always go to these parties with a girlfriend or SIX and come home with that girl or girls.
3) Take the amount of school work with a grain of salt, try to give your self rewards after you have finished a big paper, treat. yo. self!
4) You are probably going to get your heart broken very badly this is when it starts to get real because you consider marrying these guys you are dating in college, even if that doesn't happen, you will survive this heart ache and things will work out for the best. It is not the end of the world (like I thought it was)
5) Try not to drop out and think I'll go back when I am ready because chances are you will be 24 and have to move back in with your parents (like me) and everyone in your classes will be 18 year old idiots talking about scamming a way to get their fake ID to get into a bar you USED to work at! ( Oh sorry was I going off too much about myself!) hee hee
6) Call me before you want to experiment with "street drugs" - the lethal chemical combinations out there right now are so dangerous, deadly and insidious that apparently we have begun the zombie apocalypse with having people eating eachother, literally! ( more about this in my next post)
7) Don't just tough out serious bouts with depression. If you feel really scared and desperate - TELL SOMEONE!! My 20s were some of the most volatile times in my life. I am not ashamed nor embarrassed to admit that I was so ill sometimes that I wanted to die badly. It runs in my family and guess what? About a trillion other people have problems with depression and anxiety. There is real help out there and you don't need to suffer in silence or worse.
8) Don't work so much your college school work suffers and you start failing classes. This can lead to dropping out so you can live on your own. See #5
9) Enjoy this time of meeting so many new people, some of the friendships you make will last a lifetime. Once you have to join the dreaded rat race and become a grown up, you will miss this time when there was such an abundance of new people, ideas, music, art all around you.
10) TRUST YOUR GUT INSTINCT - that is God trying to protect you!
I have to remind myself that my niece's situaiton is very different than my own. She is not moving into the dorms like I did, she will be staying at home, at least for now. That takes some of the worry away, but most of it is still there